Anglican Church Grammar School

Anglican Church Grammar School

Name: Anglican Church Grammar School

Time: 1912 - Current

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Category: Grammar School

Institution Category: Education

Institution Group: Combined Levels

Coordinates: -27.4817783333333, 153.050945

Street Address: 39-79 Oaklands Pde, East Brisbane

Suburb: East Brisbane

Sector: Independent \'Grammar\'

Local Study Area: Kangaroo Point-East Brisbane

Study Stage: MBSH Stage 3 Local Study Areas

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties

In 1912, Canon William Perry French Morris and his wife (who held degrees in science and medicine) founded a school, called ‘St Magnus Hall’, at Ardencraig, a suburban house in Church Street (now Jephson Street), Toowong. The school’s name was changed to ‘St Magnus Hall Collegiate School For Boys’ and then in 1913, it became The Cathedral School, following the move to a new site at St John’s Cathedral. Plans were put into place with a purchase of land in East Brisbane in 1916, but the foundation stone was not laid nor opened on the site until 1918. From 1916 to 1985, the school was officially known as the Church of England Grammar School.

Geographic Description 1: Inside The Green Belt

Geographic Description 2: Brisbane River; Norman Creek

Geographic Description 3: Flood Gullies; Hills


“History and Traditions” [ About Churchie. Anglican Church Grammar School. Archived from the original (] Retrieved 13 December 2007.

Andrew, Anne. With Courage and Compassion: A Celebration of Cannon Hill Anglican College’s 25th year, Queensland Cannon Hill Anglican College, Cannon Hill, 2014.

Cole, John R. The Making of Men: a History of Churchie 1912-1986, Boolarong Publications for the Anglican Church Grammar School, Bowen Hills, 1986.

Hempenstall, Peter J. Churchie: A Centenary Portrait : 1912-2012, Anglican Church Grammar School, East Brisbane, Qld, 2011.

Morris, W. P. F. (William Perry French). Sons of Magnus: First Steps of a Queensland School, William Brooks & Co., Brisbane Qld, 1948.

Image Citations

The Churchie grounds and buildings, circa 1924. Photographer: Poul C. Poulsen. Archive: State Library of Queensland