Kelvin Grove Teachers' College was established in 1961 to provide courses in primary and secondary teacher education from its predecessor the Queensland Teachers' Training College, which was established in 1914. In 1923 the college moved to the "old" Trades Hall on the corner of Edward and Turbot Streets in Brisbane, where it remained until January 1942. The following month, the College moved to the campus of the North Brisbane Intermediate School at Kelvin Grove. The College subsequently underwent a series of name changes, initially to the Senior Teachers' Training College (1944), and then to the Queensland Teachers' College (1950), Kelvin Grove Teachers' College (1961), Kelvin Grove College of Teacher Education (1974), Kelvin Grove College of Advanced Education (1976), Kelvin Grove Campus of the Brisbane College of Advanced Education (1982), and Kelvin Grove Campus of the Queensland University of Technology (1990).
Geographic Description 1:
Inside The Green Belt
Geographic Description 2:
Breakfast Creek; York's Hollow
Geographic Description 3:
Flood Gullies; Hills; Ridgeline (Kelvin Grove, Winsdor, and Herston Roads); Valleys
Anderson, Norman R. Kelvin Grove, Forty years 1942-1981: from Teacher's College to C.A.E.: a Short History of Transition, Kelvin Grove College of Advanced Education, Kelvin Grove, Qld, 1981.
Fitzgerald, Ross; Megarrity, Lyndon; Symons, David. Made in Queensland : a New History, Special Q150 commemorative edition, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, Qld, 2009.
Kyle, Noeline; Manathunga, Catherine; Scott, Joanne. A Class of its Own: a History of Queensland University of Technology, Hale & Iremonger in association with QUT, Sydney, 1999.
Unidentified. (n.d.). Male Students from the Kelvin Grove Teachers' Training College, Brisbane, Ca. 1946, SLQ Collection reference: 27941 Kelvin Grove Teachers' Training College Group Photographs.