Langlands' & Villa Nova College Chapel

Name: Langlands' & Villa Nova College Chapel

Time: 1916 - Closed

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Category: Catholic Primary School

Institution Category: Education

Institution Group: Primary

Coordinates: -27.4964716666667, 153.051416666667

Street Address: 34 Sixth Ave, Coorparoo

Suburb: Coorparoo

Sector: Independent \'Catholic\'

Local Study Area: Greenslopes-Coorparoo

Study Stage: MBSH Stage 3 Local Study Areas

Suggest An Edit
Back
This house was the home of merchant Rueben Nicklin, who sold the rest of his land as Coorparoo's 'Langlands Estate' in 1887. Partners Connah and Brookes bought the house and the Connah family lived there. In 1890, Thomas Connah lost his wife and daughter in the QUETTA sinking. Connah decided to name his home 'Langlands' circa 1900. He became Queensland Auditor-General and sold 'Langlands' to Catholic Archbishop Duhig in 1916. It became the Good Samaritan Convent and the new chapel was blessed and opened on 20 August 1916. In 1954, the property was given to the Augustinian Order for Villanova Boys College, Geographic Description 1: Inside The Green Belt Geographic Description 2: Norman Creek Geographic Description 3: Flood Gullies; Ridgeline; Hills

Citations

"villanova chapel 100", http://www.osa.org.au/en/ministries/additional-information/villanova-chapel-100/; Brisbane City Council, Heritage Register Summary, https://heritage.brisbane.qld.gov.au/heritage_register/placeDetail.do?action=read&placeId=537&fullDetail=true&navParam=startBasic

Image Citations