Annerley Picture Theatre

Stage Number: MBSH.02.02.24

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Fairfield-Annerley

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 397 Ipswich Road

Latitude & Longitude: -27.50872222,153.03315556

Time Link: 1914

Map Link: 1914

Image Time Point: 1914

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Annerley Picture Theatre opened around 1914 and was owned by Alderman A.E. Hughes and run by Mr. Taylor. Originally it was enclosed by high galvanised walls. The seats piled up in tiers like an amphitheatre. The screen was most likely painted with silver frost, a small canopy keeping the rain from running down the screen. From aerial photographs in 1938 it appears that the Annerley Theatre soon gained a roof. There is a claim that Taylors ran a searchlight for the evening performances, which could be seen in the night sky from Ekibin. In 1954 the Theatre was sold to the Mesh Brothers. The Theatre had seating for 800 to 1200 patrons. The Annerley Theatre was demolished around 1967.


Robert Bentley’s memoir in Erica Ferroff (Edited). 1988. A Century of Achievement. A History of the Centenary Committee of the Junction Park State School. Junction Park State School and the Annerley District. The Centenary Committee of the Junction Park State School. p. 65. Glenda Carriere. The Picture Theatres of Annerley. John Kerr (Edited). The Annals of Annerley: Proceedings of the Annerley Conference. 17 July 1994. Royal Historical Society of Queensland. 1997. p. 67.

Image Citations

Map References

MLMS. 8 chain series 1904–1917—Brisbane. 8 chains to the inch. Cadastral map of Brisbane and Suburbs sheet 8. MLMS 8 Chain