Boarding House for the Blind and Deaf

Stage Number: MBSH.02.01.09

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Dutton Park-South Woolloongabba-Buranda

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 37 Kent St, Woolloongabba

Latitude & Longitude: -27.49910833,153.03125833

Time Link: 1883

Map Link: 1884

Image Time Point: 1884

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Built 1883. In 1886, the Queensland colonial government allotted 10 acres on Cornwall Street for a Deaf and Blind Training Centre. Adults trained in a workshop (1887) and a purpose-built Blind School opened on 1 February 1893 for 20 children, with a single teacher Miss Sharp. Joint classes were held until separate deaf classes began in 1897. Schooling for deaf or blind children was voluntary until 1924, when they were brought in-line with all other state students. Boarding fess were charged but abolished in 1950. the training of the blind ceased here in 1963.


Department of Enviroment and Heritage Protection, Queensland Heritage Register citation No.602670

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 5 chains to the inch. City of Brisbane. 5 chains to the inch. Government Engraving, and Lithographic Office, Brisbane.. 634496