Brisbane South Boys School

Stage Number: MBSH.03.01.83

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: West End-South Brisbane-North Woolloongabba

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: Corner Gleneig and Merivale Street, South Brisbane

Latitude & Longitude: -27.47891667,153.01830556

Time Link: 1865

Map Link: 1865

Image Time Point: 1865

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Brisbane South Boys School had opened in 1865. The site has had extraordinary evolution in the school institutions that inhabit the land. Originally the institution was ‘co-ed’ as the Brisbane South School until it was re-opened as the Brisbane South Girls and Infants School in the 1880s. The boys were transferred to a new built school across to the Gleneig-Ernest Street block near-by in 1888. In 1929 the institution re-invented itself as the Brisbane South Intermediate School (for Grades 7 and 8). The new boy’s school (Gleneig-Ernest Street block) then became Brisbane South State School. The Brisbane South Intermediate School closed in 1953 and the Brisbane South State School then moved to this site (Edmondstone-Cordellia Street block) in 1954. The Brisbane South State School finally closed on 31 December 1963.


Kowald, Margaret. with Val Donovan, Ruth Kerr, Kay Cohen, Lyndsay Smith, and Jean Stewart. Lost Brisbane and Surrounding Areas: The Later Years. Volume 2. RHSQ. 2016 page 235

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 1 chain to the inch. Plan of subdivision of section 30 City of Brisbane. 1 chain to an inch. Surveyor General’s Office, Brisbane.(quarter-size). 634488