Brisbane Synagogue typifies the customs and liturgical practices of the Hebrew community. The community is also known as ‘Kehilla Kedosha Sha'ari Emuna’ (The Holy Congregation of the Gates of Faith).
From 1865, the Brisbane Hebrew Congregation used a number of venues as temporary places of worship, including Samuel Davis's ‘Aubigny’ at North Quay. The Margaret Street site was purchased by R. B. Lewin and sold to the congregation for £200. The foundation stone was laid on 7 July 1885.
Brisbane Synagogue Website [http://brisbanehebrewcongregation.com/] Retrieved from on 7 June 2019.
Further research is underway.
Brisbane Synagogue. Photographer: Craig Franklin [https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=25549458]