Bulimba A and B Power Stations

Bulimba A and B Power Stations

Stage Number: MBSH.03.04.07

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Murrarie-Cannon Hill

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: Gibson Island, Brisbane River

Latitude & Longitude: -27.44094444,153.115

Time Link: 1926

Map Link: 1926

Image Time Point: 1926

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Bulimba A power station was opened by the Central Electric Lighting Co. (CEL) on Gibson Island in 1926. This was designed to meet the power needs of the growing population and had an initial capacity of 12.5MW, which was increased to 92.5MW by 1944. The CEL was later acquired by the Southern Electricity Authority, who opened the Tennyson Power Station and Bulimba B (adjoin Bulimba A) in 1955. This eased the power shortages that had caused regular brown-outs, load shedding by industries, and staggered work hours in the years following World War II (a time of increasing populations new domestic electrical appliance usage). The Bulimba power stations were decommissioned in 1986 following the opening of a base load station at Taronga, and also the Wivenhoe pumped storage hydro-electric station in 1984.


History of electricity supply in Queensland’ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_electricity_supply_in_Queensland), sighted 19 July 2017)

Image Citations

Bulimba B Power Station, Brisbane, ca. 1954. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland. Record number: 152999.

Map References

MLMS. 40 chain AG2 series 1887–1932—Moreton district. 40 chains to 1 inch. Moreton 40 Chain map AG2 series sheet 2a north. AG2