Bulimba Creek School

Stage Number: MBSH.04.01.06

Group: Eastern & Bay

Local Study Area: Hemmant-Lytton-Port of Brisbane

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 56 Hemmant-Tingalpa Rd.Hemmant

Latitude & Longitude: -27.44797778,153.12720833

Time Link: 1864

Map Link: 1865

Image Time Point: 1865

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Built 1876, the architect was Francis Stanley. Bulimba Creek School opened in 1864. The 1876 (extant) building replaced the first school and a playshed (1884), teacher’s residence (1873), open-air annexe (1922) added. Renamed Doughboy Creek Mixed Scool in 1866, Doughboy Creek Primary School (l869), Doughboy Primary School (1870) and Hemmant Primary School (1876). The Cleveland railway saw the school lose land (1889) and the teacher’s house moved (1912). The teacher’s house was sold in 1939 to build tennis courts (now demolished). The grounds were enlarged in 1951 and a pre-school opened in 1980. The c1887 house ‘Dumbarton’ was relocated to the school from Lytton Rd due to road widening, in 2001. In the 1893 Flood, the school was used for emergency men’s accommodation.


Department of Enviroment and Heritage Protection, Queensland Heritage Register citation No.602382

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 1 chain to the inch. Plan of subdivision of section 30 City of Brisbane. 1 chain to an inch. Surveyor General’s Office, Brisbane.(quarter-size). 634488