Caledonian House

Stage Number: MBSH.03.01.23

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: West End-South Brisbane-North Woolloongabba

Epoch: Late 20th Century

Street Address: 153 Stanley St. Southbank Parklands, South Brisbane

Latitude & Longitude: -27.47889722,153.02282222

Time Link: 1988

Map Link: 1987

Image Time Point: 1987

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Built 1885. Drapers Allan and Stark began in South Brisbane in 1882. It had this two-storey, masonary ‘Caledonian House’ built in 1885. The effects of the 1893 Flood on business caused the drapery to relocate cross-river to Queen Street. In 1897, the Queensland National Bank leased it for a south-side branch, with the South Brisbane Gas and Light Company holding a sub-lease. The Bank bought it in 1909, with the energy company retaining the lease. Facade alterations were done by architects Hall and Phillips in 1931. Owned by that Gas and Light Company (1971 became Allgas) from 1965-84. Then resumed by the Queensland government and only only one of 5 buildings retained, when South Brisbane’s CBD was cleared for EXPO88. It was renamed Central House and was the EXPO88 bank.


Andrew Cowell (editor), WORLD EXPO 88 the official souvenir program, (Brisbane: Richard Walsh, 1988)

Image Citations

Map References

Qimagery. Brisbane 1987. Scale: 1:25,000.