Cannon Hill Saleyards and Holding Pens

Cannon Hill Saleyards and Holding Pens

Stage Number: MBSH.03.04.05

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Murrarie-Cannon Hill

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: Between Barrack Road and Creek Road, Murrarie

Latitude & Longitude: -27.46152778,153.09502778

Time Link: 1931

Map Link: 1934

Image Time Point: 1934

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The 60-hectare Cannon Hill Saleyards were established in 1931 to serve the nearby abattoirs. The principal traffic in this area around that time was the droving of livestock along Wynnum, Logan and Creek Roads to the saleyards, where livestock from Queensland, Northern Territory and South Australia was sold. More than 47 million head of livestock moved through the saleyards, and the sealed surfaces there were important during stock disease outbreaks. However, inland and New England saleyards became more competitive during the 1980s, and with the feedlot facility creating bad smells across nearby residential areas, the saleyard was closed in 1991. The land was later used for a housing development.


Colin Mercer and Robin Trotter, ‘Historical study: Cannon Hill saleyard’, report to Queensland Department of Housing, 1995.

Image Citations

Borthwick’s saleyards. Undated. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland. Record number: 137224.

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2058 Moreton District Maps – A Series. 4 miles to the inch. Moreton District. 4miles to the inch. Survey Office, Brisbane.. 634883