Christ the King Church

Stage Number: MBSH.05.01.11

Group: Western

Local Study Area: Chelmer-Graceville-Sherwood

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 12 Churchill St. Graceville

Latitude & Longitude: -27.51921944,152.97697222

Time Link: 1930

Map Link: 1936

Image Time Point: 1936

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Opened 1930. The 1912 Catholic St Joseph’s Church, at Corinda, served a large congregation across Richlands, Darra, Oxley, Chelmer and Graceville. Overcrowding saw the timber Church of All Souls transported from Toowong to Graceville, in 1930. It was rededicated as Christ the King Church, with its Parish declared in 1931. Christ the King convent school opened in 1937. Postwar, as the suburb grew, the Church was extended in 1950 and 1954. Christ the King Parish and Corinda’s St Joseph Parish were reformed as the Parish of Corinda Graceville in 1996. The new parish was blessed on 13 February 1997. Flooding concerns saw the Church relocated to a new site in Churchill Street in 2004. The land had contained the (demolished) Graceville Convent.


The Catholic Parish of Corinda Graceville, HISTORY,

Image Citations

Map References

Qimagery. Brisbane 1936. Scale: 1:11,000.