Coopers Plains Racecourse

Coopers Plains Racecourse

Stage Number: MBSH.02.09.06

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Archerfield-Acacia Ridge

Epoch: Early 19th Century

Street Address: Near intersection of Paradise and Beaudesert Roads, Acacia Ridge

Latitude & Longitude: -27.59102778,153.02988889

Time Link: 1843

Map Link: TBA

Image Time Point: TBA

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


After the end of the Brisbane convict era in 1842, the newly-formed Moreton Bay Racing Club held its first annual meeting at a rough track in what was then known as Cowper’s Plains on 17 July 1843. This was the first recorded race meeting in Queensland. The race meet during the following year took place over three days. The races occurred on and off for several decades, and in 1876 were held for the first time under the auspices of the Coopers Plains Jockey Club. They were later run by the Oxley and South Brisbane Jockey Club in 1889, but seem to have ceased in the 1890s.


Sydney Morning Herald, 19 April 1843, 13 June 1844; The Telegraph, 18 December 1876, 27 June 1889; Beryl Roberts, ‘Naming Brisbane’, Brisbane: B. Roberts, 2013, p.7.

Image Citations

The Queensland champion racehorse, Mr. J. M’Ewens’s B.G. Ohio’, Illustrated page from the supplement to The Queenslander, September 28, 1901, p. 633. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland. Record number: 502315.

Map References

Currently Searching