Crown and Anchor Hotel

Stage Number: MBSH.04.01.02

Group: Eastern & Bay

Local Study Area: Hemmant-Lytton-Port of Brisbane

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: Fort Lytton, Lytton

Latitude & Longitude: -27.41269444,153.15213889

Time Link: 1865

Map Link: 1865

Image Time Point: 1865

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Crown and Anchor of 1865 was the first hotel recorded at Lytton, with Thomas Griffin and then Adam Fieberg as the first licensees. The name was changed to the Lytton Hotel in 1878 with William Nichols, and then the Kavanagh family, as licensees. The hotel served local farmers and the annual military presence until it closed circa 1905, after the Commonwealth took over the town of Lytton for defence purposes.


Department of Environment and Heritage Protection, Queensland Heritage Register, ‘Lytton Hill’; Brisbane Courier, 27 September 1865.

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 1 chain to the inch. Plan of subdivision of section 30 City of Brisbane. 1 chain to an inch. Surveyor General’s Office, Brisbane.(quarter-size). 634488