Stage Number: MBSH.04.02.03

Group: Eastern & Bay

Local Study Area: Wynnum-Wynnum West-Manly-Lota-Manly West

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 26 Oceana Tce, Manly

Latitude & Longitude: -27.45727222,153.18494444

Time Link: 1885

Map Link: 1885

Image Time Point: 1885

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Built 1885. Bank manager James Gibson had it built as a seaside retreat. He retired there in the 1890s and named it ‘Culterfel’. From 1911-29, it was a holiday/retirement home for grazier John Hart. It was sold to the Catholic Church in 1925, After remodeling, it opened as the Sisters of Presentation Convent in 1941. St Philomina School classes were held on its verandahs. In 1960, the Queensland novitiate transferred its HQ from Longreach to Manly.


St John Vianney’s Catholic Parish, HISTORY OF OUR PARISH,; Queensland Presentation Sisters, HISTORY,; Brisbane City Council, HERITAGE REGISTER SUMMARY,

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 12 chains to the inch. Pugh’s Almanac street map of Brisbane. 12 chains to the inch.. 634507