Eight Mile Plains Hotel

Eight Mile Plains Hotel

Stage Number: MBSH.04.06.02

Group: Eastern & Bay

Local Study Area: Eight Mile Plains-Kuraby

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 24 Gaskell St, Eight Mile Plains

Latitude & Longitude: -27.58375,153.09836111

Time Link: 1865

Map Link: TBA

Image Time Point: TBA

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Charles Baker was granted a Publican’s Licence on 12 December 1865, and Baker’s Hotel became the first such facility in the area. Charles was then refused a license in 1869 after being fined for ‘sly grog selling’. Shortly afterwards, this establishment became the Eight Mile Plains Hotel, and was a place where Cobb & Co. changed horses and the passengers were refreshed before continuing their journey to or from Beenleigh and further south. In 1927, two Scottish sisters Mary-Jane McCamey and Emma O’Sullivan took over the hotel and changed its name to The Glen, and the modern Glen Hotel now stands on the same site.


Beryl Roberts, ‘Naming Brisbane’, Brisbane, B. Roberts, 2013, p. 36; Brisbane Courier, 21 April 1869, 22 July 1927.

Image Citations

Eight Mile Plains Hotel Brisbane, ca. 1905. State Library of Queensland, Record number: 111248.

Map References

Currently Searching