Finney Isles

Stage Number: MBNH.09.01.59

Group: Old Town & River

Local Study Area: Brisbane City (CBD)

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 196 Queen St, Brisbane City

Latitude & Longitude: -27.46872222,153.02622222

Time Link: 1909

Map Link: 1911

Image Time Point: 1911

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Finney Isles began in the 1890s taking over the Gaiety Theatre as a warehouse and parcel post office, and then demolished the building in 1909 to re-construct its retail business. It was acquired by David Jones in the 1960s. The building was largely demolished in c2008 for the Queens Plaza redevelopment, with only the Queen and Adelaide Stret facades retained. This is a return to the ‘facadism’ approach to heritage of the Bjelke-Petersen era.


Cohen, Kay. with Val Donovan, Ruth Kerr, Margaret Kowald, Lyndsay Smith, and Jean Stewart. Lost Brisbane and Surrounding Areas 1860-1960. Volume 1. RHSQ. 2014. page 298; Department of Enviroment & Heritage Protection, Qld Heritage Register citation No.600142

Image Citations

Map References

MLMS. 40 chain AG2 series 1887–1932—Moreton district. 40 chains to 1 inch. Moreton 40 Chain map AG2 series sheet 2 west. AG2