First School, Eight Mile Plains

First School, Eight Mile Plains

Stage Number: MBSH.04.06.01

Group: Eastern & Bay

Local Study Area: Eight Mile Plains-Kuraby

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: Mrs Baker\'s paddock located between Levington Road and the Glen Hotel

Latitude & Longitude: -27.58558333,153.10072222

Time Link: 1869

Map Link: TBA

Image Time Point: TBA

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The first Eight Mile Plains School was situated in a paddock owned by Mrs Baker (owner of the local hotel), between Levington Road and what is now the Glen Hotel. It was opened as a provisional school on 7 June 1869. A provisional school was one where temporary provision was made for the primary instruction of children, but was not a State school. They were established only when an average attendance of between 12-30 pupils could be maintained, and where locals could provide a suitable building at their own expense. The school building here was originally meant for a church, and could accommodate 30 pupils, although attendance was normally far less. Children used the earth closet in Mrs Baker’s yard and obtained their drinking water from her tank. Over the next few years, school was held in a number of other small buildings, including a chapel and a poorly-made bark structure. The school was closed in 1878 due to low attendance and the poor state of the building.


Eight Mile Plains State School, ‘Our History’ (, sighted 18 July 2017.

Image Citations

Eight Mile Plains School, 1917. Eight Mile Plains School (

Map References

Currently Searching