Hanworth House

Stage Number: MBSH.03.02.05

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Kangaroo Point-East Brisbane

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 109 Lytton Rd. East Brisbane

Latitude & Longitude: -27.47938611,153.04754444

Time Link: 1864

Map Link: 1865

Image Time Point: 1865

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Built 1864-65, the architect was James Cowlishaw. In 1863, Portmaster of Queensland Lt. Geroge Heath (RN) bought 7 acres beside Bulimba Creek. Heath named his house after his bitthplace in Hanworth, Norfolk. He opened 13 ports and built 33 lighhouses as Portmaster and lived here until retirement in 1890. The Heath family leased the property to bank manager Alexander Hudson until c1912, when the land was subdivided into house lots. The house and 3 roods sold to Mary Weinholt in 1913. A member of the Theosophical Society, she converted Hanworth House into The Hospice, a home for poor, elderly women. She donated it to the Theosophical Society in 1927 and it became the Anglican Hanworth Home for the Aged (women) in 1995. In 2012, new owners Marisa and Philip Vecchio began restoring the house for accomodation rental and despite a 2013 arson attack, it operates as an events venue.


Department of Enviroment and Heritage Protection, Queensland Heritage Register citation No.601026

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 1 chain to the inch. Plan of subdivision of section 30 City of Brisbane. 1 chain to an inch. Surveyor General’s Office, Brisbane.(quarter-size). 634488