Hargreaves Factory

Hargreaves Factory

Stage Number: MBSH.04.02.30

Group: Eastern & Bay

Local Study Area: Wynnum-Wynnum West-Manly-Lota-Manly West

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: Off Wondall Road, Manly

Latitude & Longitude: -27.46522222,153.16030556

Time Link: 1891

Map Link: TBA

Image Time Point: TBA

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


John Hargreaves ran a Breakfast Creek store during the 1880s, when the jams made by his wife Hannah proved very popular. He purchased the 320-acre Woondall property in Manly in 1891, where he grew and preserved fruit (thanks to the abundant ground water and springs) and then set up a small jam factory that grew rapidly and became a significant local employer. Other Hargreaves’ products included canned fruits, tomato sauce and candied peels. There was eventually a tennis court and bowling green constructed near the factory for the use of employees. The business was taken over by Whatmore’s during the 1930s, but the name J Hargreaves & Sons carried on until the 1980s. The company was acquired by Edgell-Birdseye in 1963, and the site was closed in 1999 and redeveloped as a housing estate.


The Telegraph, 26 May 1932; Courier-Mail, 3 May 1935.

Image Citations

Pineapple farm and factory owned by J. Hargreaves and Son, Manly, ca. 1925. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland, Record number: 40415.

Map References

Currently Searching