Hillyards Shop

Stage Number: MBSH.03.01.52

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: West End-South Brisbane-North Woolloongabba

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 615 Stanley St. Woolloongabba

Latitude & Longitude: -27.48578333,153.02950278

Time Link: 1866

Map Link: 1865

Image Time Point: 1865

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Built circa1866. George Hillyard bought the land in 1865 and soon had a masonary shop/house built there. The bricks used in constuction possibly came from the nearby quarry and brickworks established on marshland behind the site. His building contained ‘Hillyard’s Jewelers’ shop on the ground floor and his residence atop. He operated his business in the area, then known as One Mile Swamp, for nearly 20 years. The area’s name changed to Wooloongabba in the 1890s. Originally, this buliding feature a rooftop, clocktower used for advertising Hillyard’s trade as a watchmaker. It marks the first stage of Wooloongabba’s retail development.


Brisbane City Council, Exploring the City of South Brisbane: Heritage Trail Series No.11, (Brisbane, BCC, c1999)

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 1 chain to the inch. Plan of subdivision of section 30 City of Brisbane. 1 chain to an inch. Surveyor General’s Office, Brisbane.(quarter-size). 634488