Home of Major William Geoffrey Cahill ('Wilston House')

Stage Number: MBNH.08.04.06

Group: Northern

Local Study Area: Alderley-Newmarket

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 47 Watson St, Newmarket

Latitude & Longitude: -27.43288889,153.01305556

Time Link: 1876

Map Link: 1884

Image Time Point: 1884

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Home of Major William Geoffrey Cahill (‘Wilston House’) was built in 1876, Architect: James Cowlishaw. First owners were William & Mary Wilson. Wilson was Queensland representative of Adelaide Milling Company & the Mercantile & Insurance Agency head plus a member (1874-78) of Queensland’s colonial Parliament’s Legislative Assembly. Built on Wilston Hill, he named his 133 acre estate ‘Wilston’. In 1900, the Queensland Justice Department’s under-secretary, Major William Geoffrey Cahill bought ‘Wilston’. Cahill was Commissioner of Police (1905-17) plus the honorary aide de camp to state Governor Macgregor in 1912 and Governor Goold-Adams in 1916. In 1917, Major Alex Wynyard Joss bought the estate. By December 1925, the estate was subdivided for sale so it was reduced to 4 hectares, including ‘Wilston House’. The Joss family undertook major renovations of this grand villa and, by the 1940’s. the block shrunk to its current size, through further land sales


Beres McCallum, “Wilston: Walking a changing Wilston”, (Brisbane; Windsor & Districts Historical Society, 2012)

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 5 chains to the inch. City of Brisbane. 5 chains to the inch. Government Engraving, and Lithographic Office, Brisbane. 634496