Ingleston Guest House

Ingleston Guest House

Stage Number: MBSH.04.02.34

Group: Eastern & Bay

Local Study Area: Wynnum-Wynnum West-Manly-Lota-Manly West

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 66 Bay Terrace, Wynnum

Latitude & Longitude: -27.44275,153.17302778

Time Link: 1915

Map Link: 1915

Image Time Point: 1915

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Patterson family owned the original Ingleston guest house on Chestnut Street, South Wynnum, from 1910, but they had a new version built on the corner of Bay Terrace and Charlotte Street in 1915. This was an upmarket boarding house and became one of the best-known in Wynnum. It was a splendid two-level Queenslander with full wrap-around verandahs and beautiful views. Among the many permanent boarders and holidaymakers to stay there was Jeannie Gunn, the author of ‘We of the Never Never’. The house was destroyed by fire in August 1947. At the time, the house was occupied by 45 people, including 16 children. All survived, but they lost most of their possessions. The land remained vacant until shops were built on the site in 1957. The Public Library moved here as part of Civic Centre in 1977.


H.W. Armstrong, The History and Development of the Wynnum District, Brisbane, 1971; The Telegraph, 29 November 1910; Brisbane Courier, 3 February 1915; Courier-Mail, 4 August 1947.

Image Citations

Ingleston Guest House, Wynnum, 1920s. Brisbane City Council. Brisbane Images. BCC-218-WYN.

Map References

MLMS. 2 mile AG1 series 1906–1915—Moreton district. 2 Mile to the inch. Moreton 2 Mile map AG1 series sheet 2. AG1