Langlands' & Villa Nova College Chapel

Stage Number: MBSH.03.06.31

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Greenslopes-Coorparoo

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 34 Sixth Ave, Coorparoo

Latitude & Longitude: -27.49647222,153.05141667

Time Link: 1916

Map Link: 1917

Image Time Point: 1917

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


This house was the home of merchant Rueben Nicklin, who sold the rest of his land as Coorparoo’s ‘Langlands Estate’ in 1887. Partners Connah and Brookes bought the house and the Connah family lived there. In 1890, Thomas Connah lost his wife and daughter in the QUETTA sinking. Connah decided to name his home ‘Langlands’ circa 1900. He became Queensland Auditor-General and sold ‘Langlands’ to Catholic Archbishop Duhig in 1916. It became the Good Samaritan Convent and the new chapel was blessed and opened on 20 August 1916. In 1954, the property was given to the Augustinian Order for Villanova Boys College,


villanova chapel 100,; Brisbane City Council, Heritage Register Summary,

Image Citations

Map References

MLMS. 8 chain series 1904–1917—Brisbane. 8 chains to the inch. Cadastral map of Brisbane and Suburbs sheet 5. MLMS 8 Chain