Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

Stage Number: MBNH.06.05.05

Group: Western

Local Study Area: Kenmore Hills-Kenmore-Fig Tree Pocket

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 708 Jesmond Road, Fig Tree Pocket

Latitude & Longitude: -27.53377778,152.96888889

Time Link: 1927

Map Link: 1928

Image Time Point: 1928

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary was opened in 1927 by Claude Reid, starting with two koalas. The sanctuary was part of a movement that was able to anticipate the near-extinction of number of Australian species from the popularity in the early twentieth century hunting parties in mass shootings of mammals and birds. The backlash against the urban cultural practice of a new upper middle class, often infringing on rural land-owners’ agricultural management, resulting in the Queensland Animals and Birds Acts 1921. The Reid family owned the sanctuary until 1964 when it was purchased by the Robertson family. The sanctuary was the purchase by the Kamori family in 1988. Over the time the sanctuary has evolved into an international wildlife park, but the close-up encounter with the koala has made the sanctuary a major tourist destination for Brisbane; making use of the river as part of popular boat cruises.


Kowald, Margaret. with Val Donovan, Ruth Kerr, Kay Cohen, Lyndsay Smith, and Jean Stewart. Lost Brisbane and Surrounding Areas: The Later Years. Volume 2. RHSQ. 2016 page 136; Brisbane City Council, Heritage Register Summary, http://bit.ly/2tcXN9S

Image Citations

Map References

MLMS. 40 chain AG2 series 1887–1932—Moreton district. 40 chains to 1 inch. Moreton 40 Chain map AG2 series sheet 2 north. AG2