Mary Immaculate Parish School

Stage Number: MBSH.02.02.33

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Fairfield-Annerley

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 616 Ipswich Road

Latitude & Longitude: -27.51648611,153.030525

Time Link: 1917

Map Link: 1917

Image Time Point: 1917

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Sisters of the Sacred Heart did not open Mary Immaculate Catholic Primary School until April 1917. Classrooms were built-in under the original wooden church building, and were in use until 1955. A new brick school building was then constructed. The primary school, along with the brick church, were designed by J. P. Donoghue. In 1920 the Sisters of St Joseph took over the running of the school when the Sisters of the Sacred Heart moved to a new convent at Stuartholme, Toowong.


Brian Matthews. Mary Immaculate Parish”, in The Annals of Annerley. Proceedings of the Annerley Conference, 17 July 1994, Edited by John Kerr. Royal Historical Society of Queensland, 1997. p. 41; Mary Immaculate Catholic Church. Brisbane City Council Heritage Register.

Image Citations

Map References

MLMS. 8 chain series 1904–1917—Brisbane. 8 chains to the inch. Cadastral map of Brisbane and Suburbs sheet 5. MLMS 8 Chain