Montague Hotel

Stage Number: MBSH.03.01.15

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: West End-South Brisbane-North Woolloongabba

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 46 Montague Rd. South Brisbane

Latitude & Longitude: -27.47143889,153.01564444

Time Link: 1891

Map Link: 1895

Image Time Point: 1895

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Built 1891, Architect Francis Stanley. It was built for George Lotz and named ‘Montague Hotel’ after a well-known South Brisbane road. This corner site was close to the River and so atracted patrons from the wharves, fishermen, dredging works and residents. It opened in time to be damaged by the 1893 Floods. The opening, in 1937, of the Paul’s Ice Cream and Milk factory, across the road, saw this pub embraced by the factory’s workers. In 1953, it was renamed the ‘Coronation Hotel’ in honour of the new Queen Elizabeth II. It had many licencees including Rugby League legend Ian ‘Ripper’ Doyle. In 1987, the Hotel was bought by Queensland United Foods, owners of Pauls. It was a backpackers hostel for Expo’88, a live music venue ‘The Joynt’ (c2014) before resuming as a drinks bar.


Department of Enviroment and Heritage Protection, Queensland Heritage Register citation No.600298

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series 1748 Moreton District, County of Stanley Maps – A1 Series. 120 links to the inch. Burns, Philip & Co’s, and Hancock’s Wharves, Parish of South Brisbane, County of Stanley. 120 links to the inch. Survey Office, Brisbane. (quarter-size). 620436