Mount Coot-tha Lookout

Stage Number: MBNH.07.01.02

Group: Western

Local Study Area: Chapel Hill- Mount Coot-tha

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 1012 Sir Samuel Griffith Drive, Mount Coot-Tha

Latitude & Longitude: -27.48461111,152.95936111

Time Link: 1906

Map Link: 1907

Image Time Point: 1907

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Mount Coot-tha Lookout extends back to when it was known as ‘One Tree Hill” in the early 1870s. In the 1880 the Aboriginal name was adopted and the area was declared a recreational reserve. By the late 1880s a shelter shed, water tanks, fireplaces, and picnic tables were put into the site. The kiosk first opened in 1906 by the caretaker’s wife. The Trustees of the Reserve built a larger and open-side kiosk in 1918. Further redevelopments had occurred in the early and late twentieth century for the popular tourist and local picnicking site.


Kowald, Margaret. with Val Donovan, Ruth Kerr, Kay Cohen, Lyndsay Smith, and Jean Stewart. Lost Brisbane and Surrounding Areas: The Later Years. Volume 2. RHSQ. 2016 page 131

Image Citations

Map References

MLMS. 8 chain series 1904–1917—Brisbane. 8 chains to the inch. Cadastral map of Brisbane and Suburbs sheet 3. MLMS 8 Chain