Mt Ommaney Quarry Site

Mt Ommaney Quarry Site

Stage Number: MBSH.05.04.05

Group: Western

Local Study Area: Jindalee- Sinnamon Park- Mount Ommaney-Westlake

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: Mt Ommaney Bushland Reserve, riverfront site

Latitude & Longitude: -27.54183333,152.92608333

Time Link: 1924

Map Link: 1925

Image Time Point: 1925

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Garnet Rock Quarry Ltd operated a quarry at Mount Ommaney circa 1924-31. It had a few names over time, including Garnet Rock Quarry, Darra Quarry, and Carr’s Old Quarry. Minerals including recrystallised basic volcanics, greywacke, quartzite and road-making stone was transported by punt to a receiving depot at South Brisbane. Local resident George Maurer owned the land before, during and after the period that the quarry operated but was not involved with quarry operations. The quarry is one of only two known examples of non-farming activity in the area prior to the 1940s.This land is now owned by the Brisbane City Council and forms part of the Mount Ommaney Walkway, which opened in 1996. The remnants of the quarry’s workings are still visible and accessed via the Walkway.


Centenary Suburbs Historical Society, ‘Forgotten Local Quarry at Mount Ommaney’ (, sighted 18 July 2017.

Image Citations

Quarry works on the Brisbane River at Darra, Brisbane, 1915. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland. Record number: 166263.

Map References

MLMS. 40 chain AG2 series 1887–1932—Moreton district. 40 chains to 1 inch. Moreton 40 Chain map AG2 series sheet 2 west. AG2