Narrabethong School for Visually Handicapped Children

Stage Number: MBSH.02.01.18

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Dutton Park-South Woolloongabba-Buranda

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 49 Maynard St, Woolloongabba

Latitude & Longitude: -27.49488889,153.044

Time Link: 1894

Map Link: 1895

Image Time Point: 1895

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Manufacturer James Duthie had his home in the same Buranda street as his Duthie Brothers jam factory. It was named ‘Radford House’. Duthie died in 1899 but his family lived here until 1956. The Queensland Sub-Normal Childrens’ Welfare Association bought it in 1961. In 1963, the blind students were sent from the old (1883) Woolloongabba Blind & Deaf School to this site renamed ‘Narbethong School’. Narbethong is reputedly an Aboriginal word for happy place. In 1982, Q.S.N.C.W.A. was renamed the Endeavour Foundation.


Department of Enviroment & Heritage Protection, Qld Heritage Register citation No.602861

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series 1748 Moreton District, County of Stanley Maps – A1 Series. 120 links to the inch. D.L Brown & Co’s and Pettigrew’s Wharves, Parish of North Brisbane, County of Stanley. 120 links to the inch. Survey Office, Brisbane. (quarter-size). 620414