Nundah State School

Stage Number: MBNH.11.03.19

Group: Northern

Local Study Area: Chermside-Wavell Heights-Kedron-Nundah

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 163 Buckland Rd, Nundah

Latitude & Longitude: -27.40213889,153.05708333

Time Link: 1916

Map Link: 1917

Image Time Point: 1917

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Nundah State School was opened on 2 October 1865 as the German Station National School. Mr John Nicholson, was the first head teacher, remained in charge until March 1868. Initially 62 children were enrolled at the school. Richard Suter and Annesley Wesley Voysey (Suter & Voysey) were the architects responsible for additions made to the school in 1873. By 1889 the enrolment had risen to 200. The school became known as the Nundah State School in 1896.In 1916, when the school enrolment approached 700, an infants wing was erected. This timber wing facing Buckland Road is still standing.The northern wing facing Boyd Road was the first brick section to be erected; it was opened in 1935. The wing facing Bage Street opened in 1941. The stepping stone from the original 1865 school has been inscribed and incorporated into the main entrance. The third wing facing Buckland Road was added in 1951.


Department of Enviroment & Heritage Protection, Qld Heritage Register citation No.650033 ; From Pioneering Days—Nundah Northgate Virginia. Nundah & Districts Historical Society

Image Citations

Map References

MLMS. 8 chain series 1904–1917—Brisbane. 8 chains to the inch. Cadastral map of Brisbane and Suburbs sheet 5. MLMS 8 Chain