Packer & Knox Scour and Tannery

Stage Number: MBNH.11.02.06

Group: Northern

Local Study Area: Aspley-Chermside West-Everton Park-Stafford

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: Corner of Hamilton and Webster Road, Chermside

Latitude & Longitude: -27.38511111,153.02094444

Time Link: 1898

Map Link: 1904

Image Time Point: 1904

Suggest An Edit
Back
View Your Faviourties

Information

The Packer & Knox Scour and Tannery originally was established in Stafford by Joseph Packer and David Knox in 1891. The business was moved to this site in 1898, known as Downsfall Creek). The site included a skin shed, tannery, boiler house, and sweat houses, on 64 acres. It was a large operation employing 50 to 60 workers. The business won a reputation for the quality of its produce. The fellmongering side of the business closed in 1967, and the tannery closed around 1971. A new tannery opened at Narangba in 1972.

Citations

Kowald, Margaret. with Val Donovan, Ruth Kerr, Kay Cohen, Lyndsay Smith, and Jean Stewart. Lost Brisbane and Surrounding Areas: The Later Years. Volume 2. RHSQ. 2016 page 114

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 4 chains to the inch. Brisbane and suburbs. Sheet 1. 4 chains to the inch. Brisbane, Survey Office. 634532