Port of Brisbane

Stage Number: MBSH.04.01.12

Group: Eastern & Bay

Local Study Area: Hemmant-Lytton-Port of Brisbane

Epoch: Late 20th Century

Street Address: Port Drive, Port of Brisbane (formerly Bishop Island)

Latitude & Longitude: -27.37930556,153.16858333

Time Link: 1976

Map Link: 1980

Image Time Point: 1980

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Port of Brisbane was first used as such on the site in 1976. Originally the land was an artificial island created as a recreational site between 1909 and 1912. It was used by private boat and tourist operators and had a dance pavilion and kiosk. The island was named after the captain of the dredge ‘Hercules’, Allan Bishop. However, it also gained the name of ‘Wreak Island’ from the other tourist attraction, the dumping of a large number of hulks on the island. It is somewhat ironic that Brisbane’s main seaport with extensive commercial terminals was to be much later constructed at the site. In 2004 the Port of Brisbane was expanded with a large land reclamation losing its previous characteristic as island chain.


Kowald, Margaret. with Val Donovan, Ruth Kerr, Kay Cohen, Lyndsay Smith, and Jean Stewart. Lost Brisbane and Surrounding Areas: The Later Years. Volume 2. RHSQ. 2016 page 152

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 1:15840. City of Brisbane. Sheet 10. 1:15840. Brisbane, Department of Mapping and Surveying. 634733