Queen Alexandra Home for Children ('Hatherton')

Stage Number: MBSH.03.06.18

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Greenslopes-Coorparoo

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 347 Old Cleveland Rd, Coorparoo

Latitude & Longitude: -27.49402778,153.06119444

Time Link: 1886

Map Link: 1887

Image Time Point: 1887

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Butler Bros.saddlers & ironmongers’ manager Rueben Nicklin had ‘Hatherton’ built in 1886 as his Coorparoo home ‘Langlands’ was too small for his family. Tragically, Nicklin and wife Jane died in the February 1890 Quetta shipwreck. ‘Hatherton’ remined a residence for the Nicklin and Lahey families, plus politician Arthur Carter M.L.C. In 1911, the Methodist Church acquired the house, as its Indooroopilly orphanage was too small. The Queen Alexandra Home for Children opened here in 1912, with Nicklin’s son as a trustee. Mrs J.J. Kingsbury was trust president. In 1919, the ‘Kingsbury’ wing was added. From 1942-45, the Home was also used as a day school for the Sommerville House girls displaced by the Americans. The orphanage closed in 1960. The state government bought it for domestic science training. As ‘Alexandra House’, it was altered by a 1963 annexe and 1967 additions. It became the College of Catering & Hospitality Services in 1977 then renamed College of Tourism & Hospitality in 1984. In 1986, it converted to a community centre.


Department of Enviroment & Heritage Protection, Qld Heritage Register citation No.600185

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 40 chains to 1 inch. Brisbane area including the Brisbane River and tributaries, Pine River, and creeks showing entrances to Moreton Bay, adjacent islands, land subdivisions with names of owners and lessees, railways, roads. 40 chains to the inch. Brisbane, Survey Office.. 634763