Further research is underway.
The Queensland School for the Deaf opened in opened 1 February 1883, but its history is confused by a serious of designations which may also indicate various related departments as part of the one institution:
Brisbane Institution for the Instruction of the Blind, Deaf and Dumb;
Queensland Blind, Deaf and Dumb Institution;
Deaf, Dumb & Blind School;
Queensland Institute for the Blind, Deaf and Dumb;
Blind, Deaf and Dumb School
Queensland Institute for the Blind.
Prior to the establishment of this Institution students were sent to the Sydney Institution for the Deaf, Dumb & Blind. The Queensland School for the Deaf, in Dutton Park, was run by a committee of private citizens until 1918 when the State Government took control.
In 1963, blind students were transferred to the newly created School for the Blind (Narbethong) at Buranda, which was housed in the grounds of the previously closed Buranda Girls and Infants School.
Lamond, A.J. [edited by Geoffrey Swan] The story of the Queensland Blind Deaf & Dumb Institution 1883-1913, The Institution, Brisbane, Qld, 1913.
Queensland State Archives Agency ID6605, Queensland School for the Deaf
Workshop of the Queensland School for the Deaf at Dutton Park, Brisbane, Ca. 1935, Accession number: 88-6-10. (2004). State Library of Queensland