Romano Chambers

Stage Number: MBSH.03.09.05

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Mount Gravatt-Mount Gravatt East

Epoch: Late 20th Century

Street Address: 1379-1381 Logan Rd. Mt Gravatt

Latitude & Longitude: -27.53753611,153.07828056

Time Link: 1956

Map Link: 1960

Image Time Point: 1960

Suggest An Edit
Back
View Your Faviourties

Information

Built 1956. The Mt Gravatt District remained a rural, outer suburb of Brisbane until the 1950s. When the Logan Road tramline was extended to Mt Gravatt in 1951, it was the impetus for urbanisation. Small farms and bushland were replaced with housing estates, particuarly those developed by the Queensland Housing Commission or the Commonwealth War Service Home schemes. As the area filled with houses, built along dirt streets without any curbing and channeling, a shopping precinct developed near the corner of Logan and Creek Roads. As this was the final tram stop, the locals called it ‘The Terminus’ shops. Sivestro and Maria Romano built and lived atop Romano Chambers. Across from the tram stop, it occupied a prominent position. It was leased to major retailers, like Brisbane Cash and Carry (B.C.C.) Supermarkets. As the nearest major shopping precinct was in ‘The Valley’, “The Terminus’ was important to the area’s first homeowners, into the 1960s. The closure of the tramline in 1969 and the opening of Garden City Shopping Centre in 1970, led to a decline in the importance of ‘The Terminus’.

Citations

Jack Ford, Mt Gravatt Childhood Memories 1957-66, (oral history project, 2017); ABC RADIO BRISBANE, Local History – MT GRAVATT, http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2006/05/19/1641487.htm

Image Citations

Map References

Qimagery. Greater Brisbane 1960. Scale: 1:16,000.