Runcorn State School

Stage Number: MBSH.03.12.03

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Sunnybank (East of Mains Road)-Runcorn

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 646 Beenleigh Rd. Sunnylxmk

Latitude & Longitude: -27.58788333,153.06162222

Time Link: 1901

Map Link: TBA

Image Time Point: TBA

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Built 1901. It opened on 8 July 1901 with 26 students. It began as a provisional school funded by the local farming communities of Sunnybank and Runcorn and built by J. Lather. The School gained state school status in 1909. The shade trees around the school grounds were planted by pupils for the annual Arbor Day commemoration each 1 May. The School was the centre of community activities, including the Runcorn Tennis Club, until 1926. Thereafter, it shared its role as a community venue with the new Runcorn Progress Association Hall and Sunnybank School of Arts.


Beryl Roberts, Runcorn Heritage Trail, (Brisbane: Runcorn State School, 1990); Brisbane City Council, HERITAGE REGISTER SUMMARY,

Image Citations

Runcorn State School, April 1951. Queensland State Archives. QSA 1084412

Map References

Currently Searching