Seven Trees Caravan Park

Stage Number: MBSH.02.10.23

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Sunnybank-Banoon

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 107 Station Road

Latitude & Longitude: -27.575375,153.05518333

Time Link: 1942

Map Link: 1946

Image Time Point: 1946

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


In 1942 Percy and Beatrice Hetherington rented a house in Young Street while Percy worked at Archerfield Airport. They parked their plywood caravan in their front yard and rented it to a neighbour for guest accommodation. The idea to set up a caravan park came from that idea. They purchased 2.75 acres in Turton Street across from the Oasis Gardens. The Seven Trees Holiday Caravan Park, one of Brisbane’s first caravan parks, was opened in 1944 by Percy and Beatrice Hetherington. By hand they cleared and levelled the site. They constructed an amenities block from iron sheeting that was part of an old shed on the property. Percy dug a 50 foot bore by hand. This bore water was used for showering and washing as there was no reticulated water to the site at that time. Hot water was provided in drums over an open fire. Later they built a kiosk and sold supplies and drinks. The Hetheringtons sold Seven Trees in 1958.


Sunnybank: paddocks to pavements, Sunnybank State High School P& C Association, 1985, p. 87, 89.

Image Citations

Map References

Qimagery. Brisbane City Council Series 1946. Scale: 1:15,900.