Seventeen Mile Rocks Primitive Methodist Church

Stage Number: MBSH.05.04.02

Group: Western

Local Study Area: Jindalee- Sinnamon Park- Mount Ommaney-Westlake

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 675 Seventeen Mile Rocks Rd, Sinnamon Park

Latitude & Longitude: -27.53821667,152.95167222

Time Link: 1888

Map Link: TBA

Image Time Point: TBA

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Built 1888. It replaced the 1880 slab-hut church built adjacent to the (1878) Seventeen Miles Rock School. The church and school were the community hub. Both churches occupied a prominent spot on the corner of Goggs and Sinnamon Roads. District pioneers, the Sinnamon family had their cousin Wilson Henry build this church for the Church of England. But as no Anglican clergyman could be obtained for services, the Church was offered to the Primitive Methodist circuit, at Ipswich. It sent a minister by rowboat downriver to hold services. By the 1950s, the small congregation was reduced to just two Sinnamon family sisters. From the 1960s, the area converted from farms to housing. In 1966, Seventeen Mile Rocks Rd was extended to the new Jindalee suburb. The Church had to be relocatted onto the original 1865 Sinnamon farmland. As the site was donated by that family, the Church was renamed Rocks Road Sinnamon Memorial Methodist Church. After the joining of the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregationalist churches in 1977, it became a Uniting Church.


Department of Enviroment and Heritage Protection, Queensland Heritage Register citation No.600235;

Image Citations

Map References

Currently Searching