St John the Baptist Church

Stage Number: MBSH.03.03.07

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Bulimba-Balmoral-Hawthorne-Morningside

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 171 Oxford St. Bulimba

Latitude & Longitude: -27.45166944,153.06015556

Time Link: 1889

Map Link: 1888

Image Time Point: 1888

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Built 1888, the architect was John Buckeridge. After the 1853 subdivision of ‘Toogoolawah’, Bulimba developed soon into a township. The building of a Presbyterian Church in 1887 prompted the local Anglicans to fundraise for a place of worship. Elizabeth Coxen donated her land, £700 raised and the first brick laid in 1888 and the church was dedicated in 1889. In 1895, a Sunday School hall (now demolished) was built next to the church. In 1915, the church was gifted the Samuel and Mary Woodland memorial bell tower plus the Corp. Frederick Storey (1st AIF) memorial pulpit. Despite the Great Depression, many improvements were added in the 1930s, including the ground’s retaining wall, a reredos and a bell from the Maheno shipwreck for the tower. In the 1950s, a chancel to nave screen was added and a brick hall added in 1965 (extended 1987).


Department of Enviroment and Heritage Protection, Queensland Heritage Register citation No.601174

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 1015 Moreton District 20 Chain Maps – AG3. 20 chains to the inch. Parish of Bulimba, County of Stanley. 532963