St John's Church (Anglican)

Stage Number: MBNH.09.01.56

Group: Old Town & River

Local Study Area: Brisbane City (CBD)

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 144 George St, Brisbane City

Latitude & Longitude: -27.47225,153.02425

Time Link: 1905

Map Link: 1906

Image Time Point: 1906

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


St John’s Church (Anglican) was opened in 1905. Formerly the site of Moreton Bay Penal Settlement lumberyard, it was aquired in 1848 by the Anglican Church. St John’s Church nd outbuildings were built on the land. All were demolished in 1904 and due to the completion of the adjacent Executive Building, the site was renamed the Executive Gardens. In 1906, a Queen Victoria statue was unveiled and the site became known as Queens Gardens. A captured WWI German Krupp field gun was added in 1917, A staue of Queensland Premier T.J. Ryan was added in 1925. The Queensland Service Womens’ Association’s Monumnet of Memories was added in 1990.


Brisbane City Council, Tree Trail- Brisbane CBD tree trail map, (B.C.C., c2008)

Image Citations

Map References

MLMS. 8 chain series 1904–1917—Brisbane. 8 chains to the inch. Cadastral map of Brisbane and Suburbs sheet 1. MLMS 8 Chain