St John's Presbyterian Church

Stage Number: MBSH.02.02.56

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Fairfield-Annerley (formerly pilot)

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 23 King St, Annerley

Latitude & Longitude: -27.50258333,153.03666667

Time Link: 1885

Map Link: 1887

Image Time Point: 1887

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


St John’s Presbyterian Church was built in 1885-86, constructed by Mr. Krause for £150. Pulpit donated from South Brisbane’s Park Church. It opened in King St on 16 May 1886. Sunday Schoolroom was added in 1913. St. John’s Church was built in 1929 (Architect: George Trotter). The 1886 church became the Hall. It remained Presbyterian, even after the 1977 amalgmation of the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches formed the Uniting Church. St John’s contributed to the community through its Boys’ Club, Girl’s Guild, kindergarten, choir and church football team.


St John’s Presbyterian Church, JUBILEE SOUVENIR 1885-1935, (Brisbane: Herbert Blake, 1938)

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 40 chains to 1 inch. Brisbane area including the Brisbane River and tributaries, Pine River, and creeks showing entrances to Moreton Bay, adjacent islands, land subdivisions with names of owners and lessees, railways, roads. 40 chains to the inch. Brisbane, Survey Office.. 634763