St Laurences College

Stage Number: MBSH.03.01.10

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: West End-South Brisbane-North Woolloongabba

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 82 Stephens Rd. South Brisbane

Latitude & Longitude: -27.48656667,153.02526944

Time Link: 1874

Map Link: 1879

Image Time Point: 1879

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Built 1914. In 1874, the Christian Brothers were asked by Dr Quinn, Brisbane’s Catholic Bishop to oversee St. Kilian’s boys seminary located on this hill, overlooking Stanley Street. It would have been the first Brothers school but the offer was declined due to flooding concerns. St. Kilian’s burnt down in 1899. Archbishop Duhig renewed the call for a Brother’s school and St. Laurence’s College was built and opened in 1915. It had 270 boys, 4 brothers plus one lay teacher. A monastery was added in 1917. In World War II, the College was closed, due to the Australian and U.S. forces requisitioning it for the Brisbane Fortress Command H.Q. (1942-45). Classes moved to Greenslopes. Buildings were added to the campus in 1961, 1968, 1973, 1978, 1981, 1984, 1999 and 2010, while other buildings were extended. The last Brothers left the campus in 2009.


St. Laurence’s College, HISTORY,

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series 1748 Moreton District, County of Stanley Maps – A1 Series. 4 chains to the inch. Section 1, 3, 8, 15-18, 20-3, 29-31, 35-40, 42, 44-8, 52, being the Victoria Bridge Lands, South Brisbane, County of Stanley. 4 chains to the inch. Survey Office, Brisbane.. 620301