St Marys Anglican Church

Stage Number: MBSH.03.02.13

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Kangaroo Point-East Brisbane

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 433.447 and 449 Main St. Kangaroo Point

Latitude & Longitude: -27.47481667,153.03515278

Time Link: 1873

Map Link: 1884

Image Time Point: 1884

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Built 1872-73, the architect was Richard Suter. A small, timber Anglican church was built, in John Street, in 1849 but it was flood-prone. A building fund raised £2000 for a new church, with the fondation stone laid (29 April 1872) and consecrated 5 November 1873. The loss of its roof in a 1892 cyclone led to the church’s enlargement in 1893. Overlooking the Naval Stores, it became the Navy Chapel in Brisbane. Its Warrior Chapel has memorials to Queensland’s first female doctor Lillian Cooper, archiect Robin Dods and to the 1964 HMAS Voyager distaster. It has 3 Godfrey Rivers paintings and Brisbane oldest (1823) organ,


Kangaroo Point Neighbourhood Watch, Kangaroo Point Heritage Walk from Riverlife to Citylife, (Brisbane: Brisbane City Council, 2010); Carol McMullen, Walk into History – A History of Kangaroo Point, (Brisbane: Queensland Women’s Historical Association, c1970s);

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 5 chains to the inch. City of Brisbane. 5 chains to the inch. Government Engraving, and Lithographic Office, Brisbane.. 634496