Stephens Police Station

Stephens Police Station

Stage Number: MBSH.02.02.35

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Fairfield-Annerley

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 444 Ipswich Road

Latitude & Longitude: -27.509175,153.03345278

Time Link: 1925

Map Link: 1925

Image Time Point: 1925

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Stephens Police Station opened 10 July 1925. Earlier buildings had been used as a police station for the district from 1891. A premise was first rented from Henry Lose, and then another premise was taken from Mrs F. Schilpp on Ipswich Road around 1898. Finally land and a premise were purchased by the Police Department in 1923 and were located at 571 Ipswich Road, on the corner of Francis Street (now Tamworth). The Stephens Police Station at 444 Ipswich Road had six rooms, including kitchen, bathroom, pantry, and an office, and a single constable’s room. In this era the station was serviced by the use of two troop-horses and a bicycle. The station received a motorcycle in 1937.


Unnamed. Stephens Police Station. in Folder Three. Annerley Library Local History Collection; Police Station. Brisbane City Council Heritage Register.

Image Citations

Police Station. Brisbane City Council Heritage Registrar

Map References

MLMS. 40 chain AG2 series 1887–1932—Moreton district. 40 chains to 1 inch. Moreton 40 Chain map AG2 series sheet 3 south. AG2