Sunnybank Railway Station

Stage Number: MBSH.02.10.09

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Sunnybank-Banoon

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 70A Dixon Street

Latitude & Longitude: -27.58092778,153.05429167

Time Link: 1885

Map Link: TBA

Image Time Point: TBA

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Agitation for a railway from Brisbane to the Logan and Albert districts began as early as 1877. The survey carried out in 1881-1882 routed the line through the Eight Mile Plains Agricultural Reserve, dividing some of the farms previously selected. Tenders for the first section from the South Brisbane Branch to Logan Village were called with good progress being made by Messrs Fountain Brothers by March 1884. This station was first called Eight Mile Plains but by the time the section of line was opened on 8 April 1885, the name changed to Sunny Bank or Sunnybank and a goods-shed was added to the shelter shed and booking office already built there. A number of farmers in the Agricultural Reserve wanted the siding at Runcorn to be the main station instead of Sunnybank. However, because money had been spent linking the Sunnybank station to the main road, it gained its status as a station and only a platform was provided at Runcorn. Soon, both working and business men living in the area were requesting improved railway service with the suburban services extended to them.


The Brisbane Courier Thursday 12 April 1877, 5 May 1888, 4 July 1889; Queensland Government Gazette, 5 May 1883, p. 1225, 4 April 1885, p. 1160; The Queenslander, 22 March 1884; 17 January 1885; Sunnybank: paddocks to pavements, Sunnybank State High School P& C Association, 1985.Plans of Railway Buildings: Logan Branch: Item ID121155, QSA.

Image Citations

Map References

Currently Searching