Terrace House Row

Stage Number: MBNH.09.02.10

Group: Old Town & River

Local Study Area: Petrie Terrace-Spring Hill-Bowen Hills

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 25 Wellington St, Petrie Terrace

Latitude & Longitude: -27.46105556,153.01397222

Time Link: 1884

Map Link: 1885

Image Time Point: 1885

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Terrace House Row was built in c1884. Constructed by and for bulding contractor John O’Keefe, who was a favourite of Catholic Archbishop of Brisbane James Quinn. O’Keefe built many properties during the 1880s, in this area then know locally as Bishop’s Hill. Quinn had previously owned this site. O’Keefe built 4 small, cramped townhouses, occupying just 5 perches of land each, onto this hillside block. It was this European-style urban housing that could lead to slum creation that the Queensland colonial government outlawed in 1885 with the Urban Subdivision of Land Prevention Act.


Brisbane City Council, Heritage Register Summary, http://bit.ly/2K4poDQ

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 12 chains to the inch. Pugh’s Almanac street map of Brisbane. 12 chains to the inch. 634507