The Oasis Shopping Centre

The Oasis Shopping Centre

Stage Number: MBSH.02.10.46

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Sunnybank-Banoon

Epoch: Late 20th Century

Street Address: 152 Station Road

Latitude & Longitude: -27.57484722,153.05492222

Time Link: 1951

Map Link: 1951

Image Time Point: 1951

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Oasis Shopping Centre was built and owned by Mr A. Welford. When the shopping centre opened in 1951, shop rent was then £4 a week. After a few shop establishments in the earlier epoch, this was Sunnybank’s first business precinct. It was made possible, as the name suggested, because of the Oasis Tourist Gardens. Even before the final closure of the famous Queensland venue, the business centre of Sunnybank had moved to the McCullough and Mains Road intersection, a block north-westward. In the last decade the Centre has undergone a renewal with new ‘off-the-main road’ restaurants and cafes.


Paddocks to Pavements: Railway Centenary, Sunnybank 1885-1985. S.S.H.S. P&C Assoc. 1985. p. 44.

Image Citations

The Oasis Shopping Strip 1969. Brisbane Images. Brisbane City Council Library Services. 1630.

Map References

Qimagery. Greater Brisbane Area 1951. Scale: 1:16,000.