Tingalpa Cemetery

Stage Number: MBSH.04.03.02

Group: Eastern & Bay

Local Study Area: Tingalpa-Wakerley-Gumdale-Ransome

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 160 Fleming Rd. Tingalpa

Latitude & Longitude: -27.46595556,153.13483611

Time Link: 1875

Map Link: 1882

Image Time Point: 1882

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Opened 1875. The Queensland colonial government gazetted a general cemetery reserve at Fleming Rd, Tingalpa in March 1874. It opened as Tingalpa Cemetery, with its administration given to trustees appointed from the local community. In 1913, it was renamed Hemmant Cemetery.In 1930, the state transferred administration from trustees to the new (1925) Greater Brisbane City Council. In 1949, a lawn cemetery section opened. A new curates’ office and public amenities (tiolets) building were aded in 1951. A Garden of Rest was planted in 1952. It contains headstone for the area’s pioneers.


Brisbane City Council, HERITAGE REGISTER SUMMARY, https://heritage.brisbane.qld.gov.au/heritage_register/placeDetail.do?action=readandplaceId=1714andfullDetail=trueandnavParam=startBasic

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 1015 Moreton District 20 Chain Maps – AG3. 20 chains to the inch. Parish of Tingalpa, County of Stanley. 532931