Treasury Chambers

Stage Number: MBNH.09.01.39

Group: Old Town & River

Local Study Area: Brisbane City (CBD)

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 40 Elizabeth St & 181-191 George St, Brisbane City

Latitude & Longitude: -27.4715,153.02427778

Time Link: 1886

Map Link: 1887

Image Time Point: 1887

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Treasury Chambers was built in 1886, Architect: R. Gailey. It became ‘St Francis House’ and then the ‘Symons Building’ before being demolished in the 1980s. Only the front facade was saved and it stodd alone, on a vacant over for three decades. It is an example of ‘facadism’ approach to heritage taken by the Bjlke-Petersen government. This ended with the heritage register protection enacted by subsequent state governments, after 1990.


Department of Enviroment & Heritage Protection, Qld Heritage Register citation No.600116

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 40 chains to 1 inch. Brisbane area including the Brisbane River and tributaries, Pine River, and creeks showing entrances to Moreton Bay, adjacent islands, land subdivisions with names of owners and lessees, railways, roads. 40 chains to the inch. Brisbane, Survey Office. 634763